- they may fill in gaps left by missing federal census records, such as 1890
- they may be made available sooner than the 72-year waiting period for federal census records
- many ask different questions from the federal censuses
- they may help fill out the picture (for example, some enumerators gave a lot of extra detail)
- middle names are often supplied
As many members know, the CCGS library volunteers are conducting an inventory of the collection, and noting publication dates for the catalog. Although more than one book has turned up missing, this volume is one that was on the shelf and not in the catalog, which makes it all worthwhile!