The new site contains "all of the Society’s New England and New York content, features, articles, and resources, as well as weekly updates and databases in a variety of regional and ethnic specialties, such as sources for mid-Atlantic, Irish, and African American research," NEHGS announced the day of the launch, August 19, 2010.
AmericanAncestors.org "provides online access to some of the most important research tools and resources available, and includes a new image viewer, faster navigation and search results time, and more unique content. This expanded scope allows greater opportunity for NEHGS to bring unique content to its members and the public while establishing new and beneficial collaborations with likeminded non-profit organizations and important commercial entities."
NEHGS's original site at www.newenglandancestors.org still remains, and while many of the same online databases can be accessed from there, the organization announced these new features for AmericanAncestors.org:
- More exclusive content: more unique, searchable, highly vetted materials for New England, New York, and other regions added weekly
- Enhanced search engine: an all-new, true “master search” that will search across all databases and other web-based content, with faster results and easier navigation
- Personal research profile: a social networking feature for NEHGS members to develop an online profile and input family research information, and even share them with others
- Improved images: a state-of-the-art new image viewer that will provide easier saving, and viewing of images and data
- Timely information: more news on our homepage and an enhanced blog “The Daily Genealogist” will bring our weekly electronic newsletter to the next level with stories and helpful research tips