Massachusetts State House
24 Beacon Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02108
Main Reading Room (Room 341) and Periodicals (Room 442): 9:00am-5:00pm; Mon-Fri.
Special Collections (Room 55): 9:00am-3:00pm: Monday-Friday
Closed: Saturday, Sunday, and all Massachusetts legal holidays
Genealogical Resources (partial listing):
For a more extensive listing, visit the Mass State Library Web site at
- Annual Reports of Towns
- Histories of Towns, Cities and Counties
- Probate Records: some early records of Barnstable, Bristol, Essex, Middlesex and Plymouth Counties
- Vital Records Series (to 1850): Most of these volumes were published by NEHGS
- City/Town Directories and Voting Lists
- Tax and Valuation Lists: residents and land owners in the early years of the Commonwealth
- 18th & 19th Century Massachusetts Newspapers
- Maps and Atlases: a wide variety of maps, including Sanborn fire insurance maps.
The Massachusetts State Library's Web site has been rearranged in 2009 with inerminably long Web page addresses (URLs). Some earlier pages have either been removed or are impossible to locate.
Your best bet is to start at the Library's Home page at www.mass.gov/lib/home.htm and follow the links you find there. Search may bring up more documents than you care to sift through, but you may be lucky.
The following links will work, however:
Genealogical Resources - www.mass.gov/lib/guides/genealogy.htm
Latest Statehouse Library News - http://mastatelibrary.blogspot.com/